Founded in 1981, the New Jersey Theatre Alliance supports a thriving professional theatre community with a wealth of resources.
The first statewide service organization in the United States devoted to professional not-for-profit theatre, the Alliance provides innovative, collaborative and engaging programming for theatres and their diverse audiences.
Members include large and small theatres — each one a fully-functioning business that pays its staff and artists (designers, technicians, directors and actors). These theatres support the economic development of the state, contribute to their communities with outreach and arts education opportunities, and offer theatre that inspires, challenges and entertains close to one million theatre goers annually.
The New Jersey Theatre Alliance is viewed by New Jersey's arts community and its colleagues in the service industry nationwide as a leader in developing model programs which foster collaboration, cooperation and audience development.
The New Jersey Theatre Alliance exists to promote and develop professional theatre in the Garden State by providing programming that:
- Fosters a collaborative environment amongst the state's not-for-profit, professional theatre companies;
- Advocates the significant role of theatre in our communities and strengthens support for diverse theatre in New Jersey;
- Supports and encourages professional theatre arts activity, arts education, artistic presentations and other programs designed to increase public access and exposure to, interest in, and understanding of the art of theatre.
The Core Values of the Theatre Alliance are:
- Professional Excellence and Integrity
- Collaboration and Partnership
- Access and Diversity
- Creativity and Innovation