Policy on Collection and Use of Personal Information
The New Jersey Theatre Alliance (NJTA) values and respects an individual's right to keep certain Personal Information private. However, the Alliance may collect and use Personal Information which will enable us to effectively deliver products and services leading the enhancement of performing arts in the state of New Jersey.
A. NJTA Collection of Personal Information
The NJTA will collect Personal Information on an individual only if the individual provides the information to the NJTA. Notwithstanding, the NJTA does collect Demographic Information for fundraising purposes from various sources, such as renting Demographic Information from third parties. Also, the NJTA collects Aggregate Information for research and marketing purposes.
B. NJTA Use of Personal Information
1. When an individual provides Personal Information to the NJTA, the NJTA may use the Personal Information for its programs, research, marketing and fundraising.
2. From time to time, there is a benefit in allowing a third party to use collected Personal Information on individuals. However, unless an individual gives permission, the NJTA will not allow any third party to use Personal Information collected by the NJTA.
3. The NJTA uses and allows third parties to use Aggregate Information for research purposes for the development or implementation of its programs, products and services.
4. The NJTA uses Transactional Information from its njArtsTix.org program website for research purposes for the development or implementation of its programs, products and services. The presumption is that since Transactional Information is highly proprietary, it will not be disclosed to third parties.
5. The NJTA will disclose all information as required by law.
6. The NJTA will suppress the use of an individual's Personal Information if requested by that individual.
C. Specific Requirements
1. Administrative Requirements.
(a) All Personal Information collected on individuals will be kept confidential and in a secure environment.
(b) Access to Personal Information will be restricted to only those personnel with a legitimate business purpose.
(c) The NJTA owns all Personal Information provided to it by individuals. When an individual provides Medical Information to the NJTA, the NJTA will ensure that the individual acknowledges their assignment of the right to use the data to the NJTA.
2. Third Party Disclosure Requirements.
Permission is required before the NJTA discloses Personal Information to a third party. No permission is necessary for Aggregate Information, since Aggregate Information does not identify a specific individual.
(a) For disclosure of Demographic Information (e.g., rental or exchange of donor lists with other organizations), the NJTA as a minimum will use the "Opt-Out" approach. An "opt-out" is obtained when the NJTA, through some correspondence, gives an individual an opportunity to decline or "opt-out" of disclosures to third parties. If the individual does not opt out, permission is deemed granted. Depending upon the nature of an activity or project, a higher standard than "opt-out" may be used, such as "opt-in" whereby an individual must affirmatively give consent before information is disclosed.
(b) For research awardees, permission is deemed granted upon submission of an application for a grant to the NJTA. Therefore, the NJTA may disclose Personal Information, including funding and project summary information, on research program awardees to third parties. The purposes of such disclosure include publicizing NJTA awards, assessing NJTA research programs/awardees relative to subsequent success in obtaining funding from other agencies, and determining contribution of awardees to print and online research grants and databases.