Accepting Submissions for New Play Proposals by New Jersey Playwrights
Liberty Live Commission 2019/20
From June 15, 2018 through September 1, 2018, Premiere Stages will accept proposals for plays from playwrights who are current residents of New Jersey that explore a historical event or events that provide compelling ideas for dramatic storytelling. A shortlist of proposals will be selected as finalists, and playwrights will be interviewed by Premiere Stages. The winning proposal will be developed in 2019-2020. The play will receive a series of public staged readings in October 2019. Throughout the process, Premiere Stages will provide dramaturgical support for the playwright to further develop the play, as well as forge partnerships with groups statewide to grow the audience for the play. The project will culminate with a full Equity production at the Liberty Hall Museum in October 2020.
The winning proposal will be selected in November 2018 and the commissioned writer will receive a $2000 advance.
For more information, please visit: www.premierestagesatkean.com/liberty-live-commission
Premiere Stages will accept submissions from playwrights with or without an agent.
Interested playwrights should submit:
1. A proposal of no more than 5 pages. All proposals must include the following information:
- Background/significance of the proposal topic.
- A synopsis of the basic plot of the proposed play.
- A proposed scene breakdown.
- A proposed character breakdown.
- Explaination of why the playwright is inspired to write a play on this particular topic.
2. 10-page writing sample from a completed play. The panel may request the full script or additional writing samples.
3. Current playwriting bio.
- Playwright must be a current resident of New Jersey.
- Proposed script must have a cast size of no more than 5 actors.
- Proposed script must explore a topic from New Jersey history; submissions should not be set in or around the settings of previous commissions (see Liberty Live History page).
- Musicals will not be considered at this time.
- Submissions are limited to one proposal per playwright.
- Playwrights must be available for the development of their script (see schedule).
- Submissions are accepted June 15, 2018 through 11:59 p.m. on September 1, 2018.
- All plays must be submitted as a PDF via email to email@example.com.
- Hard copies will not be accepted.