Assistant Prop Supervisor
Assistant Prop Supervisor
George Street Playhouse
Summary of Position
George Street Playhouse, a professional, producing theatre company 40 minutes from Manhattan, seeks a qualified carpenter and artisan for main stage, 5 show, season, annual Gala Benefit, and other company events.
Essential Job Duties:
- Assist Prop Supervisor in procurement, construction, and maintenance of all props
- Play a leadership role in prop builds and construction, locating and shopping of props, prop load-ins and set dressing, prop strikes, and the organization of prop storage
- Assist Prop Supervisor with organization of prop storage, and supply inventory
- Drive throughout the state via car, van or truck to shop for items and make returns as needed
Non Essential Job Duties / Other Duties:
- Navigate Photoshop and other painting and illustration programs
- Operate 3D printer and relevant programs and equipment
- Electrical wiring as it relates to props
- Carpentry skills, furniture building and upholstering
- Metalwork and welding
- Casting, foams, plastics, soft-goods, painting, paper goods and crafts
- The ability to understand scale and read construction plans
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects at once
- Be a “can-do” team player who can make thoughtful decisions quickly and demonstrates grace under pressure
- Good organizational skills and strong sense of professionalism
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for periods of time
- Must be able to move and transport items and materials weighing 50+ pounds
- Must be able to occasionally ascend/descend ladders
- Must be able to drive vans and small trucks
- A valid driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree in technical theater, or related field
- 1-2 years of experience working in theatrical production or professional prop shop
- In addition to regular office hours, overtime hours will include evenings, weekends, and early mornings.
- Assistant Prop Supervisor is required to participate in all load-ins, techs, previews, and load-outs.
- Assistant Prop Supervisor will report to work in either the prop shop or off-site scene shop, with exposure to loud noises, construction materials, various tools and equipment.
- Position will be required to drive throughout the state via car, van or truck to shop for items and make returns as needed.
COVID-19 vaccination, including all eligible boosters, is a condition of employment. COVID policies are updated regularly to reflect the current local and national health recommendations.
George Street Playhouse currently requires all employees to wear respirator style masks (N95, KN95, KF94). Members of the Production Group will also test per the current COVID policy at the company's expense.
Position pays a weekly salary of $780.00. Position is a Local I.A.T.S.E. position and includes health and dental benefits, OT, sick days, holidays, and annuity benefits as outlined in the I.A.T.S.E. CBA. Position begins August 29, 2022 and runs through June 4, 2023.
About the Organization
Under the leadership of Artistic Director David Saint and Managing Director Kelly Ryman, George Street Playhouse (GSP) is a nationally recognized theatre, presenting an acclaimed mainstage season while providing an artistic home for established and emerging artists. Founded in 1974, GSP has been represented by numerous productions both on and off -Broadway – recent productions include Little Girl Blue written by and starring Laiona Michelle, It Shoulda Been You starring Tyne Daly and directed by David Hyde Pierce, The Toxic Avenger (which won the Outer Critics Circle Award for Best New Musical), Anne Meara's Down the Garden Paths, the Outer Critics Circle, Drama Desk and Drama League-nominated production of The Spitfire Grill, and the Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize winning play Proof by David Auburn, which was developed at GSP during the 1999 Next Stage Series of new plays.
The mission of GSP is to enrich people’s lives by producing world-class theatre. To accomplish its mission, they seek:
- to produce the highest quality of intellectually and emotionally challenging new works, re-imagines classics, and educational programs that speak with relevance to society
- to service as a vital cultural institution in New Jersey and a creative force nationally
- to positively shape and be shaped by the diverse character of their community
- to create a nurturing home for the highest level of professionalism in the arts
The values of GSP embody and celebrate the identities, backgrounds, and diverse experiences of our communities. They espouse to be an organization fully committed to:
- Being open and receptive of new ideas
- Being an advocate of diverse populations within its communities
- Being collaborative within their organization by giving everyone a voice
- Being authentic in their curiosity and seeking opportunities to develop through learning and celebrating others
About New Brunswick
Located in Middlesex County, New Jersey, New Brunswick is the county seat of home of Rutgers University. The city is a regional commercial hub for Central New Jersey. New Brunswick is on the Northeast Corridor rail line, 27 miles southwest of Manhattan. The city is located on the southern banks of the Raritan River.
New Brunswick is known as both the Hub City and the Healthcare City. The corporate headquarters and production facilities of several global pharmaceutical companies are situated in the city, including Johnson & Johnson and Bristol Myers Squibb.
How to Apply: Qualified applicants should submit a resume, references, and portfolio photos for consideration to: Christopher Bailey, Production Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position is available now. George Street Playhouse recognizes the value of diverse experiences, identities and backgrounds and is committed to building an equitable, inclusive and anti-racist organization that is representative of the world in which we live. Candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous or a Person of Color; LGTBQ+ and gender diverse candidates; candidates with disabilities; as well as candidates from historically marginalized groups are all encouraged to apply. We aim to collect a pool of diverse and qualified candidates prior to reviewing resumes; please forward this position to someone you think will be a good fit.