General Manager- Two River Theater
The General Manager reports to and works directly with the Managing Director to oversee and support the general operations of the Theater. The General Manager’s responsibilities include acting as a collaborator on the producing team, negotiating and preparing contracts for all production personnel, production budgeting, acting as a liaison for all artist unions and the League of Resident Theaters (LORT). The General Manager is a member of Two River Theater’s senior management team and works closely with Finance and Facilities as well as all department heads to help guide the organization resulting in growth and stability.
Two River Theater is dedicated to the goal of building an equitable and culturally diverse work environment and strongly encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups.
- Perform a key role in the production process in collaboration with the producing team.
- Negotiate and create appropriate contracts to engage all production personnel including, but not limited to, authors, actors, directors and designers.
- Generate and negotiate author, licensing, commissioning, world premiere, co-production, underlying rights and enhancement agreements.
- Manage relationships with artist unions, including AEA, USA, SDC and other appropriate associations.
- Ensure adherence with union collective bargaining agreements and proper contract interpretation
- Act as liaison for the League of Resident Theaters (LORT) and general management representative in various capacities with the New Jersey Theatre Alliance (NJTA).
- Work closely with the Director of Production and Artistic Director to prepare and supervise annual production budgets.
- Work closely with the Artistic and Production departments in coordinating certain production-related activities, including artist care.
- Work closely with Executive Leadership and Senior Staff on the development and maintenance of an institutional Strategic Plan and Strategic Action Plan.
- Work with the Managing Director and Director of Finance to develop and implement TRT’s financial strategy including, but not limited to, annual budgeting and capital planning.
- Work with the Director of Finance to assist in the day to day management and operations of the Theater’s finances, IT and Human Resources.
- Work closely with the Director of Facilities and Managing Director to oversee theater facility operations.
- Work closely with Marketing Department on production related material content and sales strategies
- Work closely with the Director of Marketing to oversee Box office and Front of House Activities.
- Oversee and direct the activities of the TRT Safety &Emergency Preparedness Committee in partnership with Director of Facilities and Front of House Manager.
- Work closely with Director of Facilities to co-lead task force on Covid-19 related health and safety planning and implementation.
- Perform all work in a manner that is consistent with Two River’s core values, including our commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (ED&I), and contribute to the goal of creating a more equitable, diverse and inclusive organization by participating in various staff and organizational ED&I initiatives.
- Provide leadership and logistical support for special projects as needed.
- 5+ years of professional experience in general management, financial management and/or business management
- Attention to detail in a fast-paced performing arts environment, with the ability to exhibit tact and grace in stressful situations
- Understanding and comfort with union relations and AEA Agreements
- Familiarity with theatrical budgets, planning processes and comfortable working in Microsoft Excel
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Strong leadership abilities, with ability to manage and motivate others and improve performance
- Candidates must be resourceful, flexible, organized, collaborative, positive, and professional, with a proven ability to provide strategic responses and solutions to organizational issues
- Proof of full Covid vaccination
Compensation: Salary $72,000 - $77,000. Benefits package includes medical and vision insurance, flexible spending accounts, paid vacation, personal time and a 403 (b) retirement plan.
About Two River Theater
Two River Theater is a non-profit organization located in the vibrant Jersey Shore community of Red Bank NJ. Two River is committed to creating great American theater by developing and producing work by some of the country’s leading artists. We are proud to be viewed as a vital cultural resource in the community. Anyone who joins our collaborative and fun team quickly becomes part of putting all of our initiatives into action day in and day out. Two River Theater is under the leadership of Artistic Director John Dias and Managing Director Michael
We create great American theater by developing and producing new works and world masterpieces that most richly direct our gaze to the life of the human spirit. We cultivate an audience that cherishes the intimate joy of theater, enriched when shared by a community of others.
To be a theater whose work contributes to the canon of world theater and is a vital cultural resource for our community.
Artistic Excellence: We nurture and challenge the visions of adventurous theater artists. Our commitment to the artistic process is sustained over time through an investment in people, their creative process, and our dedication to the highest artistic standards.
Education and Community Engagement: We make our theater a welcoming resource for all. We create engagement programs and partnerships that encourage all voices to come together in conversation around the stories we tell. We invest in the next generation of artists and audiences by introducing students and lifelong learners to the possibility and adventure that theater brings to our lives.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: We believe that the essence of theater is democratic: it invites us to encounter, consider and perhaps adopt other points of view, if only for a brief time in a darkened theater. We aspire to build an environment in which artists, audiences, employees, and Board members from different backgrounds and experiences together form an institution that is equitable, diverse, and inclusive.
Operational Excellence: We dedicate ourselves to the highest standards in our governance, management, operational, and financial practices. We are committed to developing and retaining an experienced and accomplished staff, an engaged and informed Board of Trustees, and a working environment that attracts staff, volunteers, and artists of the highest caliber.
Candidates should submit a cover letter (include where you saw this job posting) and resume to Michael Hurst, Managing Director at email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Subject line should read: General Manager