House Services Manager
McCarter Theatre Center, located on the campus of Princeton University, is one of the nation’s most active cultural centers. Under the artistic leadership of award-winning playwright and director Emily Mann, McCarter produces a vibrant six-play Theater Series each season. McCarter is a major presenter of the performing arts, bringing the best artists from around the world to Central New Jersey, including Dianne Reeves, Esparanza Spalding, Andy Borowitz, and many more. McCarter is committed to engaging, educating and cultivating a broad range of audiences, making the arts accessible to all people, and presenting a variety of entertaining and thought-provoking programming across disciplines.
The House Services Manager is charged with leading Front of House operations. This position has a wide range of responsibilities, including managing and supporting the Front of House staff, oversight of the volunteer usher program, leadership of patron Access programs and ADA compliance, maintaining appropriate safety procedures, and collaborating with McCarter staff and outside vendors to best support and promote McCarter performances and events.
Principal Job Responsibilities:
• Manage the Front of House team, ensuring that all FOH employees and volunteers are working towards creating a welcoming and friendly environment for our patrons. Compile and distribute relevant information regarding individual performances to the FOH team.
• Supervise all FOH employees including recruitment, hiring, training, scheduling, and evaluations. In addition, the House Services Manager is responsive to day to day staffing issues and concerns.
• Accurately budget and track financial information for all areas of FOH, including (but not limited to) payroll, accounts payable, interdepartmental charges, concession operations, outside rentals, and special events.
• Oversee the volunteer usher program, with a focus on growing a skilled, friendly usher corps; maintaining an environment in which our volunteers feel valued, appreciated, and are recognized as a vital part of our operations.
• Act as a familiar friendly face for our recurring patrons, subscribers, and donors; facilitate a welcoming atmosphere for all patrons upon entering McCarter Theatre.
• Regularly communicate with personnel from other departments and foster collaborative relationships throughout the organization.
• Develop processes and policies to meet strategic goals and standards, especially as they relate to Patron Experience. Areas of concentration include: concessions, patron interaction, parking, and safety.
• Assist the Director of Patron Experience in achieving our Access goals as specified in ADA regulations and our own ADA Plan. Facilitate meetings with the ADA Team and Access Coordinator; train staff & volunteers; maintain equipment for Access Services.
• Ensure legal compliance of FOH practices as they relate to food & beverage service, alcohol service, and public accommodations. Work with general management to maintain and renew applicable licenses.
In addition to the duties listed above, McCarter expects the following of each employee: adheres to McCarter’s policies and procedures outlined in the McCarter Employee Handbook; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about departmental issues; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; participates in McCarter events as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements:
• Minimum of 3 years management experience.
• Proven track record providing innovative and exceptional customer service.
• Passion for the performing arts.
• Ability to take charge of a situation, delegate, and multi-task.
• Possess a confident and approachable personality.
• Superb attention to detail and proactive nature.
• Ability to problem solve creatively, in a time-sensitive environment.
• Strong computer knowledge (Microsoft Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook)
• Experience with CRM/ticketing system database (preferably Tessitura) and/or POS modules.
• Ability to work nights, weekends, and during the holidays.
• Ability to lift and move items weighing up to 40 lbs.; Ability to stand, walk, and climb stairs for extended periods (up to 8 hours).
• Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity, and inclusion.
• Final candidates must complete a background check successfully.
Competitive salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, flexible spending accounts, paid vacation, sick and personal time, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, and a 403 (b) retirement plan.
Candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and three (3) references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “House Services Manager” in the subject line. Please tell us how you became aware of this opportunity. No phone calls please.