"Set the Table" for a Valentine’s Day Hot Chocolate Bar
We are thrilled to have this month’s blog from Two River Theater’s (TRT) Box Office Supervisor, Katie Benson. Katie got her start in event decoration at Two River Theater when co-workers discovered her decorating and crafting blog, #TableSettingIsMyLife, and encouraged her to take her hobby to the next level. Soon she was invited to decorate Two River’s lobby, library, and guest spaces for the theater’s special events, parties and productions. Emboldened by her TRT family, Katie turned her blog into an event decorating business.
Here’s what she had to share about hosting and decorating a Valentine’s Day-inspired hot chocolate bar:
Bring a little warmth to your Valentine’s Day celebration with this themed hot chocolate bar! A hot chocolate party is a fun and cozy way to say “I love you” whether it’s to your friends, family, or special someone.
Here are a few tips for setting up your own hot chocolate station:
Start with the basics
Gather up your favorite mugs, jars, straws, stirrers, and accessories. If you don’t have these items, stop by a local craft or discount store to stock up for your bar/table display. I would recommend basic containers so you can reuse them for different events and holidays. And of course…don’t forget the hot chocolate!
When it comes to picking your toppings, you can go nuts! Include the traditional marshmallows, whipped cream, and chocolate chips, but don’t be afraid to add in some fun extras like:
- Chopped Nuts
- Peanut Butter, Butterscotch, or Peppermint Chips
- Caramel or Toffee Bits
For an "adults-only" version, break out the bottles! Whether it’s Bailey’s, Kahlua, or flavored Vodka...these ingredients will have your guests feeling the spirit of the occasion!
Valentine's Day is a great holiday to get creative. Some ideas include:
- Add some heart stickers or paper cut-outs to your paper cups or mugs
- Find themed napkins, straws, stirrers and/or bags to display on your table
- Put paper hearts on a string to make a Valentine’s Day banner to hang on the front of your table or on your wall
- Go the extra mile with your toppings by incorporating heart-shaped sprinkles, red hots, chocolate hearts, strawberry whipped cream, etc. Valentine “Sweetheart” message candies are always a hit
- Plate Valentine’s day desserts like cookies, candies, or cupcakes to complete your bar
With a few simple Valentine's themed decorations and finishing touches, your hot chocolate bar for your friends and/or special someone will truly be feeling the love.
TableSettingIsMyLife was founded on the principle that the planning of an event should be simple, stress-free, and never require you to sacrifice having fun on your big day. After all, table setting is my life, so you can enjoy yours. ☺