Production Manager- Paper Mill Playhouse
Reports to: Director of Production
Status: Full Time/Benefits Eligible/Exempt
Under the direction of the Director of Production, the Production Manager serves as a key member of Paper Mill’s Production Department. The Production Manager works closely with the design and creative teams for each production, facilitating communication with scenic, prop, electrics and sound shops, Local 21 stagehands and PMP management.
Administrative responsibilities require regular 8-hour Monday through Friday daytime office hours and operational activities late nights and weekends. Responsibilities extend to the PMP Main Stage, all areas backstage, and PMP Warehouse. Local travel is required on a regular basis.
- Assist the Director of Production with the budgeting and production scheduling for PMP Main Stage productions, PMP Education Department activities, facility rentals, and any/all other PMP events.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the budget and with the Director of Production to ensure that the production is delivered on budget. Proactively seek suggestions for economies and manage cost-effectiveness for physical production elements and all related labor costs.
- Create, track, and analyze stagehand labor budgets for all Main Stage productions and events.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the Paper Mill Playhouse’s theatrical union contracts
- Provide all physical production information, drawings, specs, renderings, etc. to PMP IATSE Heads of Department
- Provide supportive supervision, communication, and resources to PMP IATSE crew. Work with crew to ensure that each physical production will function as required and that all mechanical and specialized equipment is ready to operate.
- Achieve and maintain an understanding of artistic objectives for each show and provide input on design as well as technical advice and guidance to shops and crew.
- Set all work calls for Local 21 stagehands.
- Establish and approve weekly payroll for Local 21stagehands.
- Establish Main Stage production season design deadlines.
- Coordinate with designers to ensure all design deadlines are met.
- Coordinate vendor bidding and negotiate rentals and purchases.
- Track vendor bids and create documentation for analysis and comparison.
- Coordinate the build schedule with scenic and prop shops to ensure deadlines are met.
- Oversee the build process to ensure that designs are carried out as specified by the designer and meet PMP safety standards.
- Coordinate show sequencing and staffing needs with the Director of Production, Director, and Stage Management.
- Oversee pre-production, load-ins, load-outs, technical rehearsals, preview performances and production meetings to ensure creative notes are achieved and process stays on budget and on schedule
- Arrange and coordinate all trucking needs for rehearsals, load ins/outs, vendor deliveries, etc.
- Maintain inventories of all rental packages in storage at PMP warehouse.
- Arrange and coordinate all cross-loads and shipping of all rental packages.
- Advance and supervise all PMP events and activities to ensure that technical needs are met.
- Supervise the organization and maintenance of PMP warehouse and storage areas.
- Supervise the maintenance of machinery, equipment, tools, shop facilities and repairs.
- Manage personnel safety and uphold safety protocols within the department. Institute and participate in all required safety training.
- Maintain the organization of the server filing system of the PMP Production Department for all documentation.
- Collaborate with the Director of Production in planning general production operations.
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Ten years of technical theatre experience with 5 years in a supervisory position.
- Experience in regional and/or touring theatre and union contracts; in both business office and artistic environments.
- Excellent work ethic, including but not limited to time and work management, self-motivation, interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Ability to communicate professionally, effectively, and consistently both in person and in written correspondence; and to run efficient and productive meetings.
- A commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion with an ability to interact effectively with people of different cultures and socio-economic experiences, free from prejudice and aggressions.
- Proficiency on PC using Outlook, Excel, Word, AutoCad, etc.
- Ability to create and maintain comprehensive and accurate budgets and paperwork.
- Familiarity with scenic drafting and building techniques as well as rigging, lighting, projections, effects, and sound equipment and specifications.
- Some design experience preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License and clean DMV report required
Paper Mill Playhouse is committed to hiring high caliber individuals of diverse backgrounds. We strive to provide our staff with a nurturing and inclusive environment, equal for all employees and optimal for their success. Paper Mill celebrates diversity and believes it enriches our work environment and the work on our stage and actively encourages applications from those with less visibility in the arts. We specifically welcome applications from those from Black, Hispanic, Asian and minority backgrounds.
Send cover letter and resume to Recruiting@PaperMill.org with subject line Production Manager. No phone calls, please. If selected for an interview, Paper Mill will happily cover the cost of transportation if necessary.
Note: Covid-19 vaccinations are mandatory for employees of Paper Mill Playhouse. Exemptions are allowed for medical reasons or a sincerely held religious belief with approval from management.