Cape May Stage, the premiere South Jersey Equity theatre that inspires audiences, the community, and performers is seeking a Technical Director (TD).
The TD ensures overall facility and production needs are met including load-in, construction, strike, purchasing, repairs, special events (both on- and off-site), general technical support, and shop maintenance (which includes scene, electrical, costume, etc.).
• A Bachelor’s degree in Theater with a specialty in Technical Theater (preferred)
• At least two years prior experience as Technical Director and/or Master Carpenter
• Strong leadership and creative abilities.
• Experience with drafting (Vectorworks or AUTOCAD)
• The capacity to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented environment that requires responsiveness and attention to detail.
• Familiarity with design software, Google suite and Q lab
The Technical Director is required to:
• Support directors and designers during the creative process. With the input of appropriate staff, analyze all designs submitted to determine feasibility of execution within the allotted time, money and personnel available.
• Manage the theatre’s resources (physical, human and financial) to ensure the successful realization of all production elements of all shows in the season.
• Manage upkeep and maintenance of theatre facility, equipment inventory, shop, and storage areas.
• Responsible for managing the prop storage including returning and restocking post-production.
• Read all scripts for the season and attend rehearsals as needed.
• Serve as part of the tech staff and be on duty as scheduled and is on call during performance times.
• Oversee inventory and maintenance of all shop, lighting, costume and sound equipment.
• Collaborate with the Artistic Director to create a yearly production budget including designer stipends and design costs broken down by design field. Manage production budget – submit receipts and reports.
• Conduct regular check-ins with the Artistic Director, Director of Finance and individual designers to maintain deadlines, costs, and expectations.
• Train Crews in proper equipment usage.
• Assist with logistics and execution of special events.
• Catalog production computer software and recovery disks. Help with software installations/troubleshooting as able.
• Conduct a quarterly safety/maintenance walk-through.
• Other duties as assigned.
Time period: April – January
Salary: $700.00 / week
• Send an email with your resume, cover letter, and technical portfolio (if applicable) to email@example.com
• Well-qualified applicants will be contacted by email or phone for an interview—please do not call to confirm receipt of your application. We regret that we may not be able to send a response to every applicant.
• Please note that housing is not provided for this position.