Tour and Academy Program Manager
George Street Playhouse produces groundbreaking new works, inspiring productions of the classics, and hit Broadway plays and musicals that speak to the heart and mind, with an unwavering commitment to producing new work. As New Brunswick, New Jersey’s first producing theatre, George Street Playhouse became the cornerstone of the revitalization of the City’s arts and cultural landscape. With its 45-year history of producing nationally renowned theatre, the Playhouse continues to fill a unique theatre and arts education role in the city, state and greater metropolitan region.
In addition to the mainstage season, the Playhouse’s Education Department provides extensive theatre arts programming for children, youth and adults through its Touring Theatre, Academy, Residency and Mainstage Audience Engagement programs that annually serve over 35,000 students across the state.
Beginning with the 2019-20 Season, George Street Playhouse will move to the New Brunswick Performing Arts Center in downtown New Brunswick. Featuring two state-of-the-art theatres and myriad amenities, the NBPAC will mark a new era in the esteemed history of George Street Playhouse.
The Tour and Academy Program Manager is an experienced professional arts administrator; responsible for supporting the development and implementation of George Street Playhouse’s Tour and Academy programs. The ideal candidate will have a passion for theatre, arts education, and a demonstrated commitment to youth development and working collaboratively with diverse groups of people.
In collaboration with George Street Playhouse’s Director of Education, Tour and Academy Program Manager will help to cultivate meaningful, strategic relationships with New Jersey residents, public schools, government and corporate grantmakers, and community-based organizations.
Key Areas of Responsibility and Accountability:
- Program Development: The Tour and Academy Program Manager participates in the development, implementation and promotion of department-wide programming. The Tour and Academy Program Manager will work closely with the Director of Education to develop Tour and Academy programs that engage and educate people of all ages. This includes assisting with the business model for new works for the Touring Company and classes for the Academy.
- Program Implementation: The Tour and Academy Program Manager is an essential member of the staff responsible for building positive partnerships with schools, communities, funders, students and parents. This position directly supervises the implementation of Tour and Academy programs, including the management of the day-to-day operations of the New Jersey and regional Touring companies and on-site Academy programs.
- Marketing: The Tour and Academy Program Manager will work closely with Marketing and Development departments on the coordination and execution of Education’s earned and contributed revenue strategy and goals. This will include generating and communicating key Education digital and narrative assets, as well as contributing to the development and execution of a robust social media presence for Tour and Academy programs.
- Community Engagement: The Tour and Academy Program Manager will actively participate in community meetings, education conferences, and funder meetings to consistently engage key stakeholders to expand the presence and impact of GSP Tour and Academy programs.
- Assessment: The Tour and Academy Program Manager will conduct formal and informal observations of Tour and Academy programs to assess the quality of our work, and work constructively with department staff to achieve continual improvement.
- Other related duties, as assigned.
The Tour and Academy Program Manager is a highly organized administrator, with excellent communication and relationship building skills, a strong work ethic, and a deep commitment to working with diverse communities. The Tour and Academy Program Manager demonstrates a collaborative nature, spirit of warmth, and love for children.
- BA in Marketing/PR; Business; Theatre Arts; or Education
- Experience in the field of arts education or marketing
- Experience in community engagement and youth development.
- Strong communication skills and capacity for sales and customer service
- A confident public speaker with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail oriented with the ability to effectively manage multiple projects with diverse partners simultaneously.
Knowledge of Tessitura, photography, video editing and ability to speak Spanish are a plus.
Please email your resume, and a letter of interest that defines your qualifications for this position, to:
Jim Jack, Director of Education, George Street Playhouse, firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates of color and diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This is a full time, salaried position. George Street Playhouse offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance.