Unite. Promote. Strengthen. Cultivate.
New Jersey Theatre Alliance was founded in 1981 by five professional theatres on the belief that the theatre community is stronger united, not divided, and that one theatre’s success is a success for all. Today we serve 20 Equity Producing member theatres, 11 Associate Equity member theatres, and 9 Affiliate member theatres, representing 13 of the state’s 21 counties.
The mission of New Jersey Theatre Alliance is to unite, promote, strengthen, and cultivate New Jersey’s professional theatres. We advance the theatre community by developing innovative, collaborative, and engaging programs and services for member theatres and their diverse audiences.
The vision for New Jersey Theatre Alliance is to be the voice of professional theatre in New Jersey, while serving as a capacity builder, innovator, and developer of a wide range of resources to strengthen and advocate for the state’s professional theatre community.
Our core values are:
- Professionalism & Integrity
- Equity & Access
- Collaboration & Partnership
- Innovation & Creativity
In January 2019, New Jersey Theatre Alliance's Board of Trustees adopted a three-year strategic plan for the organization, which sets three main goals:
- To increase the public’s awareness of, attendance at, and engagement with New Jersey’s professional theatres.
- To strengthen and support an informed membership by offering a broad range of programs, services, and opportunities that have a wide-ranging impact.
- To enhance New Jersey Theatre Alliance’s organizational sustainability.
New Jersey Theatre Alliance and its leadership have been recognized as a national model for excellence in service. Selected awards include:
- A Citation of Excellence for receiving perfect scores for 27 consecutive years (the only New Jersey arts organization to receive this honor), as well as a Major Impact Award for 19 years, given only to leading arts organizations by the New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State
- Byrne/Kean Arts Advocate Award from Paper Mill Playhouse
- Thomas H. Kean Arts Partnership Award from New Jersey Network Public Television and Radio
- Award of Excellence from Electronic Information & Education Service of New Jersey
- Governor’s Conference on Tourism’s Advertising Award
- Arts Advocate Award from ArtPride, New Jersey
- New Jersey Governor’s Tourism Arts Award
- National Accessibility Leadership Award from the National Assembly of State Arts Agencies, The National Endowment for the Arts, and Coca-Cola
- Excellence in Accessibility Award from The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and The Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation
“New Jersey Theatre Alliance truly is the lifeblood of professional theatre in New Jersey, providing much-needed advice, materials, financial resources, professional development and networking opportunities, and exposure of member institutions and their programs to the widest possible audience of regional theatergoers and artists.”
–John Wooten, Producing Artistic Director of Premiere Stages
“It is always abundantly clear to us that our needs and challenges are forefront in the considerations of the Alliance. The Alliance believes in the work we do and in the notion that New Jersey can rival New York and Chicago as a home for outstanding, cutting-edge theatre.”
–Cheryl Katz, Co-Director of The New Jersey Play Lab
“All of us in the State’s theatre community benefit greatly from the Alliance's efforts and advocacy on our behalf. We are deeply grateful for the Alliance’s existence and for their passionate commitment to the art form.”
–Bonnie Monte, Artistic Director of The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey
“Two River is fortunate to have the opportunity to access the Alliance's programs and services and to rely on the organization as an advocate and resource, connecting and supporting professional theaters in New Jersey. The Alliance is constantly seeking out opportunities to serve member theaters as a valuable resource.”
–Michael Hurst, Managing Director of Two River Theater
"In theatre, we tell stories that have the power to change perspectives on culture, to reach beyond borders, and unite. As artistic visionaries, we often work in isolation. It is incredibly important for us to exchange experiences, ideas, and resources not only to survive but to grow professionally and as a community. New Jersey Theatre Alliance gives us that sense of community."
- Olga Levina, Artistic Director of Jersey City Theatre Company